The cameras have not remained to be what they used to be in the past. You want to carry them wherever you go – whether to you are on vacation or visiting a pool. That would make a waterproof camera a need you cannot live without. If you are looking for the best Underwater Cameras, your search should end with this post. We would assist you in searching for the best option in Underwater Cameras under $500.
Best Budget Rugged Underwater Camera – Our Picks
Of course, some cameras would suit every requirement. An Underwater Camera is the one that would resist water-based activities and can be one of the best options for those looking for the underwater photographs and videos. However, getting an underwater camera should not be a more onerous task as such. But what if you are looking for the affordability as well? That is precisely why we have set a cut off pricing of $ 500 for the sake of this discussion.
Before making it to the list, we would also want to bring up a concept referred to as Underwater Housing. There are several housings available that would claim to convert your existing cameras into a waterproof camera straightaway, but that would be something that would only provide support against the accidental exposure to water. If you are looking ahead for a truly realistic underwater performance, you would indeed need to opt for a good camera that can provide the underwater performance on its own.
Nikon 1 AW1 is not only an underwater camera but doubles up as the best camera with interchangeable lenses. In fact, it is the only underwater camera that has the interchangeable lenses.
Some of the features that would make it an attractive option would be
- It suits a host of terrains and activities including kayaking, mountaineering, and underwater photography.
- It has waterproofing capacity at up to 49 feet deep into the water.
- The lightweight would make it the best when portability is concerned.
- Shockproof 6.6 feet and freezer proof to up to 14 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Faster focussing would help you miss those crucial moments. You cannot be sure of what you may come across when you are wandering in the wild.
- Wireless sharing enabled on WiFi-enabled devices.
- Shoot enchanting videos in full HD resolution.
It offers you a high-speed continuous focusing at 15 fps, making it the best option for taking the breath-taking shots in the wild. The interchangeable lenses are what would come as a handy surprise. In fact, it is the only camera with underwater functionality coupled with the interchangeable lenses that work effectively underwater.
Canon PowerShot D30 Waterproof Digital Camera
Looking for a waterproof camera that is simple and intuitive at its best? Canon PowerShot D30 Waterproof Digital Camera can be your best bet.
The camera has been treated to be the best choice for those who are always outdoors. It suits the extreme conditions like underwater to the hilt. The Canon PowerShot D30 Waterproof Digital Camera is undoubtedly the one that offers most in-depth underwater performance.
What did we like the most about it? Here are our reasons –
- It comes with an excellent scuba and snorkeling flexibility for up to 82 feet deeper into the water.
- The Camera is shockproof up to 6.5 feet
- You have temperature resistance between 14 to 104 degree Fahrenheit.
- An excellent low light performance at 12.1 MP highly sensitive CMOS sensor.
- You have access to a stunning 1080p video recorded with a dedicated button for the purpose.
- Built-in GPS functionality would automatically timestamp your shots and videos with the location and time details.
- The smarter camera ensures that you get better shots and videos.
The rubberized grip should be what would help you get the best option for carrying it underwater. Some of the features we indeed love with the camera are built-in GPS, electronic compass, mapping and 5x optical zoom capability.
Olympus TG-4 16 MP
Olympus has been a veteran in the field of waterproof cameras. The TG-4 is its fourth underwater camera that has been popular enough and capable at that!
The camera can be the best accessory for the scuba divers with its waterproofing ability to up to 50 feet underwater. A host of underwater shooting modes that the camera offers you should be what you would appreciate.
Here we go with a few features that we loved with the iconic camera –
- At 50 feet waterproof capacity, it should be one of the best for snorkeling.
- The camera comes with crushproof properties up to 220 lbs and a shockproof capability up to 7 feet.
- The Olympus TG-4 is freezer proof for up to 14 degrees Fahrenheit
- The 16 MP shooter allows you shoot the stills in RAW mode – an excellent gift for the professionals out there!
- Specific underwater modes that would make your underwater photography one of the best. Some honorable mentions can be the snapshot, macro, and HDR modes.
- It can capture brighter and darker areas and then arrive at beautiful night pictures. Olympus uses the proprietary Live Composite mode for the purpose.
- Built-in GPS and WiFi connectivity.
Though the land photographs may not be impressive enough, the camera excels with its emphasis on the underwater shooting capabilities. It is indeed the best self-contained underwater cameras. In fact, it is the best after the Canon Powershot D30. The Olympus TG-4 packs in everything you would be looking in an underwater camera. The dustproof functionality and freezer proof functionality at sub-zero temperatures should make it an excellent option.
Panasonic DMC TS25D
In case if you are looking for a cheaper option for the best underwater camera? Panasonic DMC TS25D lives up to your expectations.
The camera offers you the essential features you would expect from a waterproof camera. We have included it in our compilation from the perspective of our readers who may be tight on budget.
A few features that the camera can offer you include –
- Waterproof up to 23 feet and meet almost all necessary underwater photography requirements you may have.
- The camera offers you the shockproof capacity of up to 5 feet
- The image quality may not be on par with the one from the other cameras in this compilation.
- Though it has 4X optical zoom which it may not be sufficient enough, you can rely on the smarter digital zoom functionality provided additionally.
- The camera can shoot your videos in MP4 through HD quality at 720p.
The dry land images do not inspire much. However, it can be a good option for those who are on a tight budget, yet want to experience the underwater photography at its best.
If you are looking ahead for an overall best performance of an underwater camera? Check out RICOH WG-30W, and you will not be disheartened. In fact, it is the latest entrant to the waterproof cameras and performs well enough.
What would make it an enchanting option would be the introduction of what is called the Mermaid mode. Specially designed for underwater photography, the camera shows excellent performance.
Some salient features we loved with the tool include –
- The camera offers you the underwater capability of up to 39 feet underwater for up to 2 hours continuously.
- It has an excellent heavy-duty construction is capable of working under in any harsher conditions.
- The RICOH WG-30W offers you a shockproof endurance of up to 5 feet.
- Freezer proof capability is as low as 14 degrees Fahrenheit.
- The camera also offers you crushproof properties to up to 100 kg.
- The camera can be operated through a smartphone remotely through the WiFi connectivity.
- The Macro mode comes with the Macro lights for excellent macro images.
The camera also features a microscope mode for an extreme close up image. The 16 MP camera offers you a standard 5x optical zoom feature out of the box.
The Concluding Thoughts
Waterproof cameras have been moving ahead with a host of features that were never heard of before. You have a brighter choice of cameras in this genre at a more extensive price range; it should be practically quite more stringent to zero in on a particular model for your underwater photography needs. That is precisely why we have compiled this list of our top five picks.
We have ensured that we have been able to include the models that would suit almost all genres of buyers. We would assume that the list lives up to your expectations. Share your thoughts, experiences, and opinions about the cameras featured in this compilation so that our readers would get first-hand knowledge of the cameras we have featured here.
Do let us know your experiences with any of the cameras we have featured in this compilation. You may also share any of your favorite underwater cameras here so that we would have a better horizon of choice.