Are you looking for a 58mm UV Filter for your new zoom lens? But, before we discuss top high-definition UV filters, you must understand how they help your digital camera and what are some flaws of using them. In simple words, it releases haziness caused by UV or ultraviolet lights. There are three color sensitivity levels including Red, Blue, and Green [RGB].
Since blue layer responses to UV and blue light, your picture would be overexposed blue color. UV filters with different strengths can be used for reducing this overexposing.
Besides balancing the color sensitivity, the UV filter is a perfect protection layer for the lens. A coin has two sides, and it takes two hands to clap! With advantages, come some flaws of using UV filter for your digital camera. Following is a brief description:
- Provides scratch and dust protection for the lens glass along with filter effect
- Removing and cleaning the filter is much convenient than cleaning the lens glass itself
- It protects against water splashes
- Images-frames containing sun glare would be spoiled
- It causes vignette in photos
- It prevents you from using lens hood if filter is not compatible with additional accessories
The flaws would not be a major issue as far as you know when to use a UV filter and when not to. So without extending the discussion any further, here is the list of top high-definition 58mm UV filter’s available out there for Canon 18-55mm IS series lenses:
Top 58mm UV Filter
Heliopan 58mm Digital Filter (705886): Buy from Amazon
- Price: $92.06
- Dimension: 9 x 3.9 x 3.9 inches
- Weight: 1 ounces
- Key Features: Specialty Schott Glass, Floating Brass ring, 8-layer multi-coating
Your images would be complemented with enhanced color separation, contrast, and tone thanks to the highly UV/infrared radiation resistant filter. It is constructed using high-quality German Schott Optics ensuring impressive optical resolution. Internal reflections are kept minimal with ground and polished glass. Overall, it is assured that image quality would not be harmed due to this expansion. It comes with eight layers of coating that ensure your camera resolution does not interfere. Moreover, it also helps in reducing reflection. The brass ring is used for better mounting. It also provides the filter does not require bents overuse.
B+W 58mm XS-Pro Kaesemann Circular Polarizer: Buy from Amazon
- Price: Out of stock
- Dimension: 4 x 2.4 x 0.3 inches
- Weight: 1 ounces
- Key Features: Multiresistant Nano coating, circular polarizer, front thread for additional accessories, water-white Schott glass, brass made digital mount with matte black color
Anti-reflection coating is a big plus for this filter. This anti-reflection or anti-glare coating is considered necessary for top performance with an optical system. Moreover, it allows using a lens shade simultaneously. Contrast and color saturation of the image is enhanced as this coating reduced light reflection in the lens. Besides this, it features hydrophobic and oleophobic coating. Good mount construction, polarizing foil are some of the reasons to buy this filter.
Kenko 58mm L41 Super Pro Wide: Buy from Amazon
- Price: Out of stock
- Dimension: 6 x 2.8 x 3.4 inches
- Weight: 4 ounces
- Key Features: Slim Frame, Super multi-coated, yellow tone in the image is kept minimal, perfect for beach, snow and mountain area sceneries, minimal effect on image tone
This filter is praised for the impressive fit and protection it offers for your lens. Besides Canon IS lenses, it is identical for 10-20 F/4-5.6 Nikon mounts. Since the attachment/detachment is easy, you are less likely to get any scratches or dents. The design is pretty slim and without vignette. Using this filter would leave minimum effect/harm on the sharpness of the resulting image. Note that, Kenko is the owner of well-known Hoya, so you can expect the same quality as Hoya delivers in their camera accessories.
Rodenstock 58mm HR digital UV filter: Buy from Amazon
- Price: Check on Amazon
- Dimension: 0 x 0.1 x 5 inches
- Weight: 1 ounces
- Key Features: Multi-coated HR German glass, machine-made brass rings, thin-professional design, compatible with both wide/telephoto lenses, lotus leaf hard coat for scratch protection
Thanks to the multi-coated HR German glass helps it in resisting UV light above 400 Nm. It comes with a brass mount that delivers great optical flatness. Thanks to the slim design, this filter is compatible with both wide angle and telephoto lenses and delivers equal performance with both of them. Besides filtering light, it provides great protection for the lens kit against dust and water splashes/moisture. Moreover, it is less likely to get scratches if handled properly.
Heliopan 705814 58mm KR 1.5 Skylight SH-PMC Filter: Buy from Amazon
- Price: $57.75
- Dimension: 8 x 2.8 x 3.7
- Weight: 15 pounds
- Key Features: German Schott group glass, eight layers of SH-PMC broadband coating, dust/moisture repellent top coating on both sides, slim mount with support to additional filters/hood on front
Thanks to the quality glass used, color reproduction, contrast, and sharpness are rarely affected and are at their best. The eight-layer coating keeps reflection at minimal. Moreover, this coating also makes it capable of protecting against dust and moisture to the lens glass. With a comparatively slim mount, it is compatible with smaller 21mm lenses. This mount supports additional accessories in the front that can be a hood, cap or an extra filter.
Zeiss 58mm T* UV Filter: Buy from Amazon
- Price: $69.00
- Dimension: 1 x 2 x 2 inches
- Weight: 4 ounces
- Key Features: Perfect match for Zeiss lenses, enhanced mechanical quality with Robust filter, easy to mount-dismount thanks to fit accuracy, minimal light reflection with T* coating
Being a Zeiss product, it is fully compatible with Zeiss lenses. This robust UV filter delivers maximum mechanical performance. Fit accuracy makes it comparatively easy to attach and detach the camera filter. It is crafted with special glass to match standards and performance of almost every Zeiss lens. Light reflection would be kept minimal in all situations thanks to the T* coating layers. With all the essential needs of a photographer satisfied, it is a perfect filter for beginners/learners.
Tiffen 58EF1 58mm enhancing filter: Buy from Amazon
- Price: $63.58
- Dimension: 1 x 4 x 4 inches
- Weight: 1 pounds
- Key Features: brighter and saturated reds with rust oranges/browns, dramatic outdoor effects with polarizer, pops warm tones, minimal effect on other colors and details, enriched and intense effects on reds
Various users report it works perfectly well in many shooting conditions, including morning light, bright conditions in the afternoon, mild conditions in snowfall/winter and the rainstorm as well. Ultimately, you can just mount it and leave it on your kit as it would not affect the picture quality in any condition. In fact, all it will do is to complement the quality even further. It enhances reds in an image frame giving your output image a perfect/ideal tone.
B+W 58mm Kaesemann circular polarizer: Buy from Amazon
- Price: $79.95
- Dimension: 87 x 3.7 x 3.7 inches
- Weight: 18 pounds
- Key Features: Multi resisted coating, brass mount supporting additional hood/filter on front, water/dust repellent coating, water white Schott glass for maximized light transparency, easy to clean and mount/dismount
This circular polarizer filter by B+W features Kaesemann Foils that helps that helps it delivering 99.5% light transmission. This ratio of the transmission is considered quite ideal for these types of lens filters. The filter factor value varies between 2 to 2.8X that is considerable. Besides UV filtering, it also helps your camera to eliminate the additional value of glare and reflections from your image. It comes with B+W’s signature dust/splash resistant coating and expandable brass mount.
Sigma 58mm WR UV Filter: Buy from Amazon
- Price: $29.29
- Dimension: 02 x 3.1 x 3.1 inches
- Weight: 02 pounds
- Key Features: matches high optical performance of the lens, weather resistant, protects lens from dust particles and water splashes, easy and accurate fitting, clear class, minimal effect on picture quality
Not only the filter cuts of high UV light radiation from your output images but also protects your lens glass from scratches, dust and water splashes or moisture. The fitting is quite easy and accurate for all compatible lenses. The glass is so clear and transparent that sometimes it is hard to tell if there is a glass or not. While supporting 55mm lenses, it is even compatible with bigger 150-600mm Contemporary lenses.
Dorr 58mm DHG Super protection slim filter: Buy from Amazon
- Price: Out of stock
- Dimension: 63 x 2.68 x 2.68 inches
- Weight: 09 pounds
- Key Features: High-quality achromatic filter, helps to keep lens glass clean and protected, high-grade coating on both sides for maximum light transition, provides dust, scratch and splash protection
It is a high-quality achromatic filter. Don’t get it? Well, it simply means that besides filter UV light, it would protect your lens and keep it clean. It is manufactured using a high-grade glass for the maximum transition. Moreover, this glass is coated from both sides ensuring 99.5% transition rate. There will be no vignetting as the design of this filter is pretty slim. It supports other accessories on the front side so that you can use additional filters, hoods or caps. When we look at the build quality, the filter is quite robust and would last much longer if handled correctly. It comes with dust, scratch and moisture repellent coatings.
We hope this post helped you to pick up the right 58mm UV Filter for your zoom lens. For any questions or suggestions, please use the comment box below to get in touch with us quickly.