In this post, we will be listing out the Best 77mm UV Filters for Canon 70-200 F/2.8 L lens. In our previous article about UV filters for 55mm lenses, we discussed how UV rays affect your photographs and how UV filters help you in such situations. If you haven’t gone through it, here is a quick flashback.
When capturing pictures or shooting a movie on your DSLR, the colors are split in RGB [red, blue and green]. In these three primary colors, blue is susceptible to ultraviolet light. When there is excessive UV light present, your picture may result in blue-tinted haze or say the excessive amount of blue tone in the entire frame. You are much likely to encounter such situation in higher altitudes, thin atmosphere, near Blue Ocean or simply on a sunny day.
A UV filter is simply a super white optical glass equipped with multiple layers of coats that restrict UV lights and reflections from entering the lens and ultimately from reaching your camera sensor. By doing so, it reduces the haze and glare caused by UV light.
In this post, we are going discuss top UV filters for Canon 70-200 F2.8L lenses. Without any further discussion, here is the list:
Best 77mm UV Filters for Canon 70-200 F/2.8 L
Heliopan UV SH PMC Filter:
- Price: [amazon_link asins=’B0000BZLQ1′ template=’PriceLink’ store=’foi04-20′ marketplace=’US’ link_id=’b2684d5a-a841-11e7-af56-9f99a156f18c’]
- Dimension: 6 x 2.7 x 3.3 inches
- Weight: 2 ounces
- Key Features: 5-year drop protection warranty, 16-layer SH-PMC coating for dust/water repealing and minimal reflection, weather protection for lens, slim brass filter, crafted with quality German Schott Optics for minimal internal reflection and incredible optical resolution
Simply go out and check some shots of sky and clouds, and you will know the true potential of this filter. It reduces haze and also decreases bluish tone of the sky. The fit and finished quality are great. Moreover, you can also attack extra filter or hood on the front side with no issues. Since it would not affect other elements in the image, you can only leave the filter on your lens glass. It will assist greatly in reducing glare and unwanted reflections.
Promaster Digital HGX UV Filter:
- Price: [amazon_link asins=’B002690T7W’ template=’PriceLink’ store=’foi04-20′ marketplace=’US’ link_id=’c06feacc-a841-11e7-86fe-958086301645′]
- Dimension: 1 x 1 x inches
- Weight: 13 pounds
- Key Features: Multiple coats for repealing internal reflections, element resistant coating for fingerprint, dust, dirt and grime protection, manufactured with hard optical glass, thin frame for minimal reflections, black-ink rimming on outer glass
For satisfying the price tag, it delivers perfect fit quality and basic protection for your front lens glass. The build quality is solid; it might even survive one drop or two. Unless it is rubbed too hard [accidently, of course]. You might fell a little bit distortion in some shots, but it is considerable.
Tiffen Warm UV Filter:
- Price: [amazon_link asins=’B00004ZCLM’ template=’PriceLink’ store=’foi04-20′ marketplace=’US’ link_id=’cb82b1a3-a841-11e7-9652-f3fb5d67cd61′]
- Dimension: 63 x 3.54 x 4.33 inches
- Weight: 18 pound
- Key Features: Protects lens glass white cutting UV light, adds warmer shade to images, adds bluish cast effect in images, idea for high altitude and long distance, over water shots, perfect for added color warmth, ideal for wedding photography and portrait shots, protects lens glass from dust and scratches
Tiffen has always been famous for its camera filters for mid-ranged photo and video cameras. If you are using the too high-end camera and reached professional level already, you should not be looking at this. Although, it is still one of the most inexpensive ways of removing haze and reflections and protecting the front lens glass at the same time. You might feel a little bit increased warmth in your pictures.
Zeiss T* UV Filter:
- Price: [amazon_textlink asin=’B0061GL6LO’ text=’$104.90′ template=’PriceLink’ store=’foi04-20′ marketplace=’US’ link_id=’e40eb86c-a841-11e7-899d-31214502b11b’]
- Dimension: 1 x 1 x 1 inches
- Weight: 3 ounces
- Key Features: eliminated bluish cast, does not effects coloration or contrast, ideal for pairing with other filters, protects lens from elements including dust, moisture, scratches, etc., T* coating for repealing reflection and enhanced light transmission, fitting accuracy
Despite the comparatively low price, it very well does the job and cuts of bluish cast and glare from the pictures. The decent build quality and accuracy is pretty nice and supports additional filters and hoods.
Breakthrough Photography X4 UV Filter:
- Price: [amazon_link asins=’B00PASBZ2E’ template=’PriceLink’ store=’foi04-20′ marketplace=’US’ link_id=’f23046a9-a841-11e7-9f4b-2130f3dbbc34′]
- Dimension: 4 x 4 x 0.8 inches
- Weight: 4 ounces
- Key Features: German Schott B270 optical glass, MRC 16 layer multi-resistance coating, 99.4% transmission, slim 3.2mm traction frame, NANO coating layer for repelling dirt and water, 25 years ironclad guarantee
If you are using lenses from Canon’s L-series, you may know that these lenses are water resistance. However, you still need to protect the front glass. This filter is ideal for completing the water seal of the lens. The multiple-layer coating of this filter would assist it from protecting the lens. Besides that, it does its main job of cutting UV light and removes haze and reflections. Despite being an underdog brand in this field, BP is quite popular for their filters and other lens accessories.
B+W UV/IR Cut Filter:
- Price: [amazon_link asins=’B000N8IMZO’ template=’PriceLink’ store=’foi04-20′ marketplace=’US’ link_id=’01cd0261-a842-11e7-afb8-63a986beb299′]
- Dimension: 87 x 3.7 x 3.7 inches
- Weight: 09 pounds
- Key Features: Brass ring for enhanced image quality, world-class polishing technique, manufactured with high-quality optical glass, thinner mount, reduces vignetting from shots, protects lens from dust and moisture
When it comes to photography, B+W does not require an introduction. It does the job properly with most of the lenses but might cause a little bit of more distortion with some of the models. Thus, it is highly recommended to do some research before ordering one. Talking about its main feature, it works well in restricting UV light and cuts off glare, reflections and protects the lens as any other filter does. Distortion mentioned earlier is quite considerable since it is a cheap filter and meant to be used by beginners only.
Heliopan 707701 UV Filter:
- Price: [amazon_link asins=’B0000BZLQ0′ template=’PriceLink’ store=’foi04-20′ marketplace=’US’ link_id=’0cbcff44-a842-11e7-8ccb-69f9cbaed350′]
- Dimension: 5 x 3 x 1 inches
- Weight: 2 pounds
- Key Features: 8 layer multi-coating for minimal reflection, slim brass for extended and reliable use, German Schott Optics, hardened and resist material, keeps reflection from messing with optical resolution of your camera
Heliopan is always tough competition for B+W in camera accessories. This one is inexpensive, yet quality build filter. It cuts off UV light precisely and thus reduces haze and blue tone in captures that includes sky and clouds. There are many reports that it does not handle hood properly on the front mount. However, the problem occurs with certain hood models only. If you get a hood from the same brand or a popular brand, the chances of facing this problem are minimal.
Sigma WR UV Filter:
- Price: [amazon_link asins=’B00NIHDG08′ template=’PriceLink’ store=’foi04-20′ marketplace=’US’ link_id=’1d684507-a842-11e7-9aad-35510d1a18c1′]
- Dimension: 0 x 3.1 x 3.1 inches
- Weight: 1 pounds
- Key Features: Cuts of UV light and reduces its effect on image, reduces daylight haze, new design for matching up with high optical performance, weather resistance, provides basic protection to lens glass
Hoya EVO Antistatic UV Filter:
- Price: [amazon_link asins=’B00M17R1UM’ template=’PriceLink’ store=’foi04-20′ marketplace=’US’ link_id=’29f7c152-a842-11e7-97ef-b3e45036e89b’]
- Dimension: 3 x 3 x 1 inches
- Weight: 5 pounds
- Key Features: Removes haziness and indistinctness, provides general protection to the front lens glass, 99.7% transmission, 12 layer multi-coating, repeals flare for stunning wide aperture images
Unlike most of the filters in this range, it would repeal the dust instead of keeping its surface. It also protects the lens from the water moisture. Besides these side benefits, it cuts of UV and infrared rays nicely and removes haze and further reflections. A must-have for beginners and learners.
Pro Master Digital HD UV filter:
- Price: [amazon_link asins=’B01K98FSOA’ template=’PriceLink’ store=’foi04-20′ marketplace=’US’ link_id=’41c9c78e-a842-11e7-b11d-0151e49ee508′]
- Dimension: 1 x 1 x inches
- Weight: 2 ounces
- Key Features: Multilayer coating, compatible with DSLRs, Mirrorless and other styles of digital cameras, reduces atmospheric haze, provides basic protection for lens glass, anti-reflective coating for minimal flare and glare
Despite it being a good filter for cutting UV rays, we recommend to use it only if you are a beginner. As a beginner, it is certain that you might be using low or mid-range lenses. These filters are ideal for such lenses. If you have already paid thousands of dollars on a high-end lens, there is no need to put low-quality filters, since they are well made and sturdy enough. From a beginner’s point of view, it is quite ideal. About the performance, it justifies the price tag.
We hope you like our compiled list of the best UV Filters for Canon 70-200 F 2.8 L currently available in the market. For any questions or suggestions, do drop us a line below. Cheers!