If you are into videography, you might be interested in mirrorless cameras with 10-bit Color for Videos that are ideal for HDR with variable bit rates.
Also Read: Best 4K HDR Camcorders
The support for 10-bit color video in cameras was impossible for a few years. If you want to capture the highest quality video, it is recommended to choose a camera with 10-bit color video output. In today’s world of professional photography and videography, 8-bit color video is not ideal anymore. Therefore, it is best to go for a camera with 10-bit color video support. Let’s first look at the key reasons to go for cameras with 10-bit color video:
Why choose a camera with a 10-bit color video?
The foremost reason to choose a camera with 10-bit color depth is its benefit in the data processing. For video post-processing, saturation, stretching, and adding white balance usually leads to color. Moreover, it needs heavy dithering. The footage recorded with a 10-bit color depth is devoid of this issue. This is because a wider range of color data is accessible for reproducing the scenes in fine details.
Related: Best DSLR’s with built-in HDR
An 8-bit video file works with RGB through 256 levels per channel. On the other hand, the 10-bit works through 1,024 levels per channel. It suggests that a 10-bit image can showcase up to 1.07 billion colors, whereas an 8-bit photo can display 16.7 million.
The inception of HDR screens gives rise to extensive use of cameras with 10-bit color video. The HDR screens can display a broader range of colors at higher contrast than the average screens. Therefore, the 10-bit color depth video output effectively utilizes hardware with many distinct details to display on the screen. So, the video output always appears dynamic and lifelike.
Since contemporary display panels use pixels controlled by digital processors, each pixel represents bits of data. Each bit has either a zero or one value for every primary color: red, green, and blue, aka RGB. Thus an 8-bit color depth panel has 2 to the power of 8 values per color: that’s 256 gradations or versions each of red, blue, and green. We measure them as 256 x 256 x 256 to reach a total of 16.7 million possible colors.
For 10-bit color depth display panels, every pixel shows up to 1024 versions of each primary color, in other words, 1024 to the power of three or 1.07 BILLION possible colors. So, a 10-bit panel has the ability to render images with exponentially greater accuracy than an 8-bit screen. A 12-bit monitor goes further with 4096 possible versions of each primary per pixel, or 4096 x 4096 x 4096 colors: that’s 68.7 billion colors.
8-Bit vs. 10-Bit – How do they compare?
Well, actually, the difference comes in as rather huge. While 8-bit color depth panels do a good job of showing realistic images, they’re also the bare minimum in modern input sources. The vast majority of ultra HD 4K content (and 8K soon) gets authored in 10-bit color depth or higher. That means an 8-bit panel won’t be able to display content as intended by content creators. A strictly 8-bit panel receiving 10-bit or higher content has to “crush” details and color gradations to make them fit.
While to casual observers, the difference may seem acceptable, if you really care about the content you’re using, whether for enjoyment or work, then the compromise may be too much to tolerate. An 8-bit panel has far more limited range than a 10-bit color depth screen and can’t show the same rich variety of color gradations, resulting in a duller, more washed out, and overall plainer-looking image. The lack of variety shows up most typically in dark and light areas. For example, on an 8-bit panel, the sun may appear as a bright blob with apparent bands of light emanating from it. A 10-bit panel will show the same sun as a continuously bright object without obvious banding.
A quick factual perspective may help. The 8-bit color depth was created for VGA displays decades ago and only went up to the RGB color gamut. As such, 8-bit monitors can’t hope to work with wider color spaces such as Adobe RGB or DCI-P3. They also can’t accurately show HDR content – for that; you’ll need 10-bit as a minimum.
So let us get started with our recommendations with Nikon’s mirrorless offering.
Nikon Z 7 Mirrorless Digital Camera:
Check on Amazon | Amazon India
In the world of imaging, Nikon excels by presenting this Z7 mirrorless camera. It is equipped with a cutting-edge X system. It is an FX-format camera that boasts high-resolution output. The huge diameter design and a short 16 mm flange distance make the device compact yet powerful. Like several mirrorless cameras, the Z7 comes in a compact form factor. The light build and slim design ensure portability. Apart from that, it comes with weather sealing.
The key aspects of this Nikon camera include its CMOS sensor, efficient image processing engine, and phase-detect AF system. The cameras ship with a battery, a charger, a neck strap, and cables. For wireless connectivity, it supports Bluetooth and Wi-Fi.
- In the Z7 camera, the EXPEED 6 image-processing engine and 45.7 MP BSI CMOS sensor delivers excellent image quality.
- The native sensitivity range is ISO 64-25600.
- The built-in image processor is EXPEED 6.
- The sensor comes with a cutting-edge phase-detect AF system. It uses 493 points and covers 90% of the image area.
- For stabilizing photos and videos, the sensor is implemented with 5-axis vibration reduction technology.
- The video recording takes place at UHD 4K resolution at 30p.
- The camera uses an N-Log gamma profile and 10-bit HDMI output to present cinematic quality video.
- There is support for an 8K Time-Lapse mode.
- There are multiple screens and displays for simplicity of use.
- The 0.80x 3.6m-dot EVF with a fluorine coating and NIKKOR optics guarantees excellent clarity.
- At the rear part, there is a 3.2-inch 2.1m-dot tilting LCD with a touchscreen interface.
- The top comes with a dot-matrix OLED to let you rapidly check the settings.
- There is an XQD card slot for storage. It is compatible with CFexpress for offering faster speeds when needed.
Mirrorless Cameras with 10-bit Color: Table
|Sr. No.||Image||Product Name||Manufacturer||Buy Now|
|1||Panasonic LUMIX GH5S||Panasonic||Check on Amazon|
|2||Canon Full-Frame Mirrorless Camera [EOS R]||Canon||Check on Amazon|
|3||Panasonic LUMIX GH5||Panasonic||Check on Amazon|
|4||FUJIFILM X-T4||Fujifilm||Check on Amazon|
|5||Sony NEW Alpha 7S III||Sony||Check on Amazon|
|6||Fujifilm X-T3 Mirrorless Digital Camera||Fujifilm||Check on Amazon|
|7||Panasonic LUMIX S5||Panasonic||Check on Amazon|
|8||Panasonic LUMIX S1||Panasonic||Check on Amazon|
|9||PANASONIC LUMIX S1H||Panasonic||Check on Amazon|
9. PANASONIC LUMIX S1H:
Creativity is vital for cinematographers. This full-frame camera lets you explore creativity while photo capturing and video shooting. It presents widespread recording modes. With all its superior functionalities, the S1H is suitable for active filming outdoors. For that, you need to attach a drone or gimbal.
The built-in sensor provides a broad dynamic range. Also, it provides a sharp and lifelike output at high sensitivity. With the inclusion of the L-mount system, you can connect various other accessories. Therefore, this lens mount system makes the S1H versatile. The internal stabilization works efficiently, and it eliminates shaky effects in the output. Both the 4K and 6K picture appears great without editing.
The rugged design resists damage due to splash, dust, and other external factors. Therefore, the camera can work well outdoors, even during harsh conditions. Compared to DSLRs, it is quite lighter.
- The latest 24.2 MP full-frame CMOS image sensor supports a dual-base ISO setting. It, therefore, provides excellent image quality even in dim light.
- The noise is minimal at any sensitivity settings. During switching from a standard sensitivity to a higher one, there will be no noise degradation.
- There is support for the 6K 10-bit video output and anamorphic modes.
- V-log/v-gamut comes with 14+ stops for dynamic range. This range is found compatible with the Cinema VariCam. Hence, the camera can capture highlights as well as shadows.
8. Panasonic LUMIX S1:
Enhance your photography and videography talents with the Panasonic Lumix S1. It is a full-frame camera equipped with a 24.2MP CMOS sensor to present lifelike detail. One of its specialties is it supports a 96 MP high-resolution mode. In this mode, the sensor-shift technology can capture landscape views in very high resolution. Also, it can capture artwork photos with fine details when you mount the camera on a tripod.
The rugged design of the camera prevents damage due to splash, dust, and other environmental factors. This kind of design makes the camera perfect for use outdoors, in harsh conditions. To achieve high-quality stereo output, simply connect an XLR microphone to this camera. When you make this connection, you can also control volume; record lip-synched vocals, low cut, high gain, pro-level videography functions.
- With its ultra-fast frame rates, it is possible to create a theatrical slow-motion video at 60 fps in 4K resolution. At FHD resolution, the frame rate is 180 fps.
- In slow motion, the camera can capture fast-moving subjects.
- It comes with precise AF in dim light and low-contrast scenes.
- Low-Light, Low-Contrast Scenes
- The sensor tuning with optimization and higher sensitivity offers precise autofocus. The accuracy of autofocus is excellent both in dim and bright light conditions.
- There is a standard focal macro zoom F4 l-mount (24-105mm). It can allow you to connect Lumix Series full-frame digital mirrorless cameras with L-mount support.
- XLR Microphone Adaptor DMW-XLR1
- The 4K HDR video recording is supported at 50p/60p and 24/30p (for unlimited recording).
- There is support for Hybrid Log-Gamma (HLG) and HDR mode.
7. Panasonic LUMIX S5:
With the 10-bit video, 4K 60p, the S5 camera expands your creative vision. The key qualities include image stabilization and high precision autofocus. The advanced autofocus can detect the head, face, eyes, and body for capturing subjects with accuracy.
The robust body construction is resistant to splash and dust. There is the availability of sealing and some other protections for buttons, seams, and few other parts. The menu interface is simple to use and intuitive. Moreover, the time-lapse video creation works flawlessly.
The included sigma EF adapter is compatible with every EF lens. There are ample ports and connectivity options. To shoot in low light, you can pair the camera with a fast lens. Both for cinematic video and dynamic still photography, this Panasonic camera is ideal.
- The slow-motion video recording is possible at FHD resolution at 180 fps.
- The 96 MP high-resolution mode can capture content in high quality.
- The dual native ISO settings minimize the noise in high sensitivity.
- V-Log/V-Gamut comes with a 14+ stops dynamic range.
- For stabilizing output, it comes with a 5-axis Dual Image Stabilization feature. It can enable 6.5-stop for slow shutter speed.
- The controls of body image stabilization and lens image stabilization provide 6.5 stops correction. Hence, videos appear steady and clear.
- There is a facility of unlimited recording in the 4K/30p 4:2:0 8-bit with efficient heat dissipation.
- The Lumix S5 comes with 4:3 Anamorphic support.
- Live View Composite mode can quickly create an outstanding image from multiple live shots.
6. Fujifilm X-T3 Mirrorless Digital Camera:
The ease of use and high-performance image and video output makes the X-T3 famous. All the features vital for your photography and videography demands are instilled in this camera. The tough magnesium alloy construction makes it durable yet flexible to use. It can resist harsh weather conditions.
100 fps guarantees smooth display. It lets you accurately spot subject movements as well as focus positions. All over the frame, the 21.6 M phase-detection AF works fast and accurately. Furthermore, there is a 3.5 mm headphone jack to connect accessories like an HDMI device or a microphone. This jack makes the X-T3 mobile for outdoor videography.
- The latest 26.1MP X trans CMOS 4 sensor comes with an X processor 4 image-processing engine.
- Both 4:2:0 10 bit internal SD card recording and 4:2:2 10bit HDMI output are possible at 4K/60p resolution.
- The 3.69M dot OLED EVF comes with 0.75x magnification.
- Compared to FujiFilm, the low-light phase detection limit is increased from 1EV to 3EV.
- There are 16 film simulation modes for blackout-free burst shooting.
- Various video formats supported are H.264/MPEG-4 AVC and H.265/HEVC. They provide enhanced data compression.
5. Sony NEW Alpha 7S III:
The images captured and videos recorded with this Sony camera have several unique qualities. The output boasts great stability, excellent color reproduction, and accurate focusing. Its innovatively designed image sensor and the image processing engine offer improvements in color reproduction. Even in still images, the output appears lifelike. The key features include 4:2:2 color sampling and 10-bit depth. They provide great flexibility in image grading, compositing, and post-processing.
With the dynamic range ISO, fast autofocus, powerful image stabilization, and full-frame video performance, the Alpha 7S III is ideal for movie makers. Moreover, it comes with hybrid AF for precision. The menu and camera settings are designed with the latest features to provide responsiveness.
- For low-light focusing, there is a high-sensitive AF. This AF can shoot in dim light conditions up to EV-615.
- The maximum ISO limit is 4,09,600.
- The 4K recording is at 120p.
- It comes with a 15-stop dynamic range.
- To encompass a major part of the frame, the AF uses on-sensor phase detection and intelligent tracking. Each bit of the precise AF performance is revealed with the help of E-mount lenses.
- There is a vari-angle 1.44 million-dot17 3.0-type touchscreen. It comes in a side-open design to allow flexibility while positioning. When mounted, it offers excellent visibility.
- In the image stabilization segment, there is a Σ shaped graphite heatsink. It efficiently dissipates heat and therefore extends the recording time.
4. FUJIFILM X-T4:
The essence of creating outstanding photos and videos is to be at the right place at the proper time. It suggests that the handheld images should appear realistic no matter the type of scene. The X-T4 camera is equipped with 5-axis in-body image stabilization (IBIS). It offers a maximum of 6.5 stops for excellent image stability. Even for fast-moving action scenes, the output images appear sharp and stable.
The vari-angle LCD has a touchscreen interface. It can be adjusted to be visible from different positions. So, you will observe a superior quality monitor. Moreover, this screen offers easy-to-use and quick controls. Now you can capture and shot with comfort and stability. This is because X-T4 contains an ergonomic grip. What’s more, the powerful battery capacity lets you capture and shoot continuously for hours.
- The X-T4’s latest mechanical shutter is the most robust and fastest in the X series of FujiFilm.
- The mentioned shutter can capture images at 15 fps, and it is rated for 300,000 actuations 2.
- You can switch to movie mode with a turn of a switch.
- The X-T4 can record FHD 240p super slow-motion videos and also DCI 4K/60p.
- It can directly record F-Log 10-bit color footage in the card.
- The AF-C subject tracking can function in low-light conditions up to the lowest limit of -6EV.
3. Panasonic LUMIX GH5:
When it comes to professional-quality photos and videos, the GH5 is a decent choice. Its 20.3 MP micro four-thirds sensor without a low-pass filter can capture sharp images. These images depict a high dynamic range without artifacts.
The magnesium alloy is used throughout body construction. This material is freeze-proof up to 10°. Besides, the camera body is splash-proof and dust-proof. On each dial, button, and joint, there is weather sealing for extra protection. Ample connectivity options let you connect various compatible accessories.
- With 4K video capture, the GH5 can record smooth 4K 60P/50P video with 4: 2: 2 10 bit 4K internal video recording.
- The 6K photo and 4K post focus can record photos up to 60 fps.
- The 4K Photo mode @ 60 fps can freeze any fast-motion scene.
- Supported video formats are MP4 and MOV.
- The 5-axis dual-image stabilization can correct all lenses. It can also correct classic lenses devoid of O. I. S.
- The image stabilization removes blur, body shake, and lens shake effect in both photos and videos.
- With Relay mode, you can substitute a full card with an empty card. This mode offers a high storage capacity.
- Connectivity ports include a 3.5 mm audio port, a USB 3.0 port, and an HDMI port.
- It comes with twin SD card slots that are UHS-II U3 compatible.
- Other connectivity facilities include a DMW XLR1 microphone adaptor and a Type-A HDMI terminal with a cable lock.
2. Canon Full Frame Mirrorless Camera [EOS R]:
The Canon EOS R can work as a multimedia camera system. The advanced full-frame image sensor and lens mount make this happen. Equipped with the latest RF lens mount, this camera was designed to explore the maximum benefit of lenses from a new series and corresponding optical features. When changing the lens, you need not worry about lens damage due to dust. This is because there is a sensor cover to keep away dust.
Overall body is lightweight, compact, and with ergonomic design. You gain easy access to photos through built-in WiFi. Moreover, the Canon app can work as a remote. So, you can easily control various features from a distance. For creating selfies with friends and family, Canon has included a shutter flip-out LCD. Simply touch the subject on LCD to shoot with focus. There are various custom settings for control buttons to suit your style. Initially, you may take some time to familiarize yourself with the settings and button layout. Overall, it is easy to use and control.
- The EOS R system comes with a huge 54mm diameter and a short distance between the sensor and rear lens element. These features make the lens design compact and enhance image quality.
- 12-pin connection facilitates quick communication between this camera and every RF lenses. Consequently, it allows super-fast AF, image optimization, and image stabilization.
- Use the 3 optional mount adapters to connect any EF/EF-S lens. Whichever lens you connect, there is no compromise in the performance and quality.
- One of the mount adapters contain a customizable control ring/
- The drop-in filter type mount adapter allows you to use a variable ND filter or a spherical polarizing filter with EF/EF-S lenses.
Panasonic LUMIX GH5S:
Obtain high-quality professional video and photo performance with the GH5S. The efficient sensor and ultra-sensitive video capture are two of the vital aspects of this Panasonic camera. You can connect the Panasonic Lumix Image App through Bluetooth 4.2. When connected, it supports video record start/stop and remote shutter release. Once you have completed shooting, it automatically transits to a fast WiFi 5 GHz connection. Consequently, it allows the transfer of RAW and JPEG files to a mobile device.
The magnesium alloy in the construction makes the camera durable. This material is freeze-proof, splash-proof, and dust-proof. There is weather sealing on each dial, button, and joint. The box contains the Lumix GH5S camera, a cable holder, a battery, a battery charger, a shoulder strap, a hot shoe cover, a BNC conversion cable, and a USB connection cable. You also get a 6K/4K photo quick start guide and owner’s manual.
- The 10.2 MP micro four-thirds sensor and a large photoreceptive surface for each pixel offers an ultra-wide dynamic range;
- At the output, the videos have low noise and high sensitivity with the dual native ISO.
- In 10-bit format, the recordings it supports are 30p/25p/24p 4:2:2 and 30p/25p/24p 4:2:2.
- In 8-bit format, the recordings it supports are 4K: 60p/50p 4:2:0 and internal SD card capture of 60p/50p.
- There is support for C4K 60p VFR and Full HD recording up to 240 fps.
- The interchangeable lens camera system has 4K Anamorphic mode. It offers excellent performance, mobility, and durability.
- Connectivity options are 3.5mm headphone jack, 3.5mm mic jack having line input, USB-C 3.1 port, HDMI Type-A port, 2.5mm remote socket, and TC in/out/synchro terminal.
- A flat or neutral log gamma curve snaps pictures with a broad dynamic range. It is perfect for color grading.
- The HDR mode replicates dark as well as bright portions of an image.
The cameras with 10-bit color video support show rich, dynamic output. The fine details and wide range of color data let the output appear realistic.