Are you looking to buy the best Negative Film Scanners available on the market? If yes, then read along to know more.
We are moving towards the era of digitization. Everything we do has been in the digital realm. And interestingly enough, that includes your photos as well. Whether you are a pro-photographer or an amateur – you may be looking forward to digital scanners to scan and digitize your photos. Most of these scanners are capable of performing a host of tasks other than just scanning your old photos. The additional functionalities include scanning your films and negatives. Some of them aid you with their software to retouch the images. We would help you find a few significant Film Negatives and photo scanners you can see in 2018.
Best Negative Film Scanners
You should ideally choose your Scanner based on how you plan to use them. There are entry-level options that only support necessary scanning of 35mm film strips to high-end variants that can scan many mounted slides in batches in case you have a vast film collection. Neither the most expensive or the least expensive model is not always the right one for you. You should consider the Film format first, that you plan on scanning most often, as well as the volume you would like to process, and the final image quality you wish to achieve.
For example: for medium format, make sure your scanner can accommodate 120 films. If you’re looking to archive your closet full of thousands of 35mm slides, search for a model that allows group scanning of various originals with a single command, to save your time and effort. Also, what do you intend on doing with your scans? Are you looking just to create digital versions of your old photos to share on social platforms, or are you an active large format photographer without a darkroom looking to produce large-scale, beautiful art-prints? In addition to the Film-scanners themselves, the software that is used to command the scanner is an important consideration. Many scanners come with a sound application that is capable of getting all of the benefits provided by the hardware, while other scanners allow optional “third-party programs” to improve the performance. In some of the entry-level models, as well as the “top-quality” scanners, proprietary drivers may enforce you to rely on additional editing software to fine-tune your conclusions.
Which Photo Scanner Shall You Choose?
Well, it would be advisable to opt for the flatbed photo scanners. Sheetfed scanners are harsh on your original prints. You may run the risk of ‘damaging‘ your prints, more so if they are delicate. Many scanners are quite affordable and available with additional features like film scanning. Go for the scanners that come with holders for the negatives if they fit in your budgets.
Some scanners come with dust and scratch removal features as well. Well, several scanners have high-end features, but for the sake of this compilation, we have focussed on inexpensive models that would be affordable for most of our readers.
Epson Perfection V800
Epson Perfection V800 is a photo scanner with flatbed but excels as a film scanner worth attention. It can scan both the negatives and slides with ease. If you are someone looking for high-end scans, this is the perfect choice for you.
If you are okay with the price, you can opt for this photo scanner. It has scan modes that range from completely auto to full control over the settings. It can handle sizes as large as 8 to 10 inches.
Key Features –
- Can remove dust and scratches automatically.
- Best in class tonal range
- Includes sturdy film holders
- It comes with its software – LaserSoft Imaging SilverFast SE
- Dual Lens system.
Price – $899.00
After the expensive version of the flatbed photo scanner, let us check out the cheaper version for your benefit. In fact, PlustekOpticFilm 135is the best and efficient scanner for a photographer.
You can use it for scanning framed photos and films with ease, along with the regular prints. The small-sized scanner is quite trendy with its looks. The scanning performance is quite excellent if you need it for posting them on social media. The scanner comes with an included software Quick Scan Plus developed by Plustek.
Key Features –
- It comes with a genuine 3600 dpi optical resolution.
- You can expect sharper and vivid images.
- Support for the sizes up to 12″ x 17″
- The one-touch button can scan up to 6 negatives.
- It can scan 35mm Slides, Negatives, and Panoramic Films
- The included QuickScanPlus software aids in electronic imaging, editing and sharing the scanned photos.
Price – $299.00
PlustekOpticFilm 8200i Ai
This can be your all in one option for every requirement you may have regarding resolution and color calibration. The 7200 resolution should make it an excellent choice for films and slides alike.
The 7200dpi sensor with 48-bit color depth so that you can get original details from the originals. The scanner has multi exposer functionality so that you can improve the image quality. The bundled software is capable of handling scanning, editing and color reproduction with ease. Easy sharing option is yet another advantage associated with the film scanner.
Key Features –
- The SilverFast software offers you a professional quality software solutions that would make it easier for the professionals and newbies alike.
- You can convert the files to PDF or Presto Wrapper and share them in the portable format.
- It also has button utility software in the form of QuickScan.
- Inbuilt infra-red channel.
- Detailed shadow areas and excellent tonal range.
Price – $499.00
Canon CanoScan 9000F MKII Photo, Film and Negative Scanner
If you are looking for a scanner that can handle slides, negatives, and medium format film, Canon CanoScan 9000F Mark II is the best by any standard. One of the tallest available flatbed scanners, it offers excellent autofocus functionality.
Equipped with the official My ImageGarden, the tool offers you proper semi-pro functionality. Whether you would want to buy it should be dependent upon the editing tools you have at your disposal. You get accurate scans for all your source media.
Key Features –
- High-speed scanning on any needs you have. Whether photos, documents or 35 mm film – it can handle everything.
- My ImageGarden software bundled along with the scanner provides an intuitive way to scanning and organizing your files.
- The Super Toric lens ensures that you get the sharper edge to edge images with low noise.
- Embedded dust and scratch removal tools would aid in getting more explicit images.
- Auto scan mode that detects what you are scanning.
Price – Out of stock
HP Scanjet 4890 Photo Scanner
Whether you need it for your office use or personal use, HP Scanjet 4890 is equally beneficial for both those purposes. The scanning bed is capable of handling large size photos with sizes ranging up to 8 inches x 10 inches.
The scanner is a fast performer – especially when it comes to films scanning. This is one of the cheapest available scanners. Please note that the scan quality may not be up to the level you would expect. However, it can be a better choice for those of you who may be checking out the options at the low-end price band.
Key Features –
- Embedded software is compatible with both Windows and Mac.
- Dust and scratch removal functionality available.
- You can be assured of a faster data transfer speeds.
- You can take the scans both as snapshots and print shots as well.
- The scanning is quite easy to follow through you may experience a lower quality.
Price – Out of stock
The Bottom Line
Well, that should conclude our top five list for the best negative and photo scanners that are both affordable and extremely functional. If you are into pictures and other tasks along with just the photography, it would be a great idea to opt for a scanner that has both print and copy functionality as well.
Have you used any of the scanners featured here above? If yes, do share your opinions with us. In case if you think we have dropped out any of the film and negative scanners that are worthy of being on the list, you can let us know of your favorite models as well. We would always be looking forward to your feedback.