The image sensors from Samsung are well-known for outstanding camera performance with advanced autofocus technology. Samsung released three of the best image sensors in this regard. They are ISOCELL JN1, GN1, and GN5. Let’s go through the details of each of these image sensors and then look at their comparison:
Also Read: Comparing ISOCELL GN5 vs OmniVision OV50A
ISOCELL combines 3D-BSI with Front-side, Full-depth, Deep-Trench Isolation (F-DTI), and Vertical Transfer Gate (VTG). This provides increased light sensitivity and higher color fidelity even in inadequate lighting situations.
Samsung ISOCELL JN1:
ISOCELL JN1 is Samsung’s first image sensor that features 0.64μm pixels and packs in 50 MP resolution. It comes in an ultra-slim package for portability. You will observe unique details and vivid colors in every photo you capture.
- Implemented with the ISOCELL 2.0, an advanced pixel isolation technology, this sensor provides enhanced color fidelity and light sensitivity.
- Whether it’s daytime or nighttime, this sensor captures crystal-clear images and videos due to the Tetrapixel technology.
- Especially in dim light environments, it can collect sufficient light from conveying clear and crisp night shots. With the Double Super PD, this sensor quickly focuses even in dark backgrounds. Therefore, you can easily capture swift-moving subjects.
- With the perfect balance of highlights and shadows, the HDR technology ensures your photos appear lifelike.
- There is the use of inter-scene HDR, which is the latest HDR technology that conveys enhanced dynamic range.
- With the high frame rate recordings, this sensor preserves every detail.
- The cinematic 4K video recording supports a 60-fps frame rate that allows the sensor to capture your favorite moments in stunning detail.
Samsung ISOCELL GN1:
With the best-in-class Dual Pixel technology, Samsung’s ISOCELL GN1 conveys supreme autofocus performance. This results in detailed and accurate images. With the Tetrapixel technology, this 50 MP image sensor can capture outstanding photos anywhere, anytime.
This sensor accepts light information from every photodiode to generate a 100 MP resolution image through a software algorithm. It can immediately lock in on an object or area and develop sharp photos. The 1.2 μm sized pixels are implemented with exceptional light sensitivity. They generate true-to-life photographs.
- Dual Pixel technology increases the speed and improves the accuracy of the autofocus capabilities. So, users can quickly get crisp and clear pictures.
- Every pixel in this sensor contains two photodiodes. This feature allows the component to implement ultra-fast autofocus and capture moving objects irrespective of whether they are covered in the frame.
- Tetrapixel technology lets the sensor maximize the benefits of huge pixels. It blends four adjacent pixels into a single 2.4 μm sized pixel. So, the light sensitivity increases by four times. Due to bigger pixels, the sensor can capture blur-free images in a dimly lit environment.
- ISOCELL Plus implements a cutting-edge material to maximize the partition of individual pixels. During that, it optimizes their light absorption abilities via the micro-lens.
- With minimum light reflection and optical loss, this sensor conveys significant improvements in light sensitivity and color reproduction. So, the high-resolution photography features naturalistic tones and shades.
- Native-ISO decides how much sensitivity the sensor is to light. The high native ISO is more suitable for low-lit settings, whereas the low native ISO is more suitable for bright environments.
- The Smart-ISO technology enables automatic shooting with the low native-ISO in bright settings. It switches to high native-ISO when you shoot in darker environments. Hence, photos will always feature optimal dynamic range in dark and colorful backgrounds, with reduced noise.
- Real-time HDR enables the sensor to rapidly generate stunning images and videos with a high dynamic range. This technology lets the sensor preview and capture scenes in dim light environments in several exposures simultaneously. Ultimately, it produces HDR images in real-time.
Samsung ISOCELL GN5:
With the ultra-fast autofocus technology of the ISOCELL GN5 sensor, you are guaranteed stunning photographs.
This super-slim 50MP sensor is the industry’s first 1.0 μm image sensor to implement Dual Pixel Pro technology. With this technology, this sensor always preserves every detail of your memories. It is an all-directional autofocusing technology that significantly enhances autofocusing abilities. You can effortlessly create blur-free, detailed images of swift-moving objects with fast, accurate autofocus.
- Two photodiodes are placed in every 1.0 μm pixel. They are placed vertically or horizontally to identify pattern changes in every direction.
- The one million phase-detecting type multi-directional photodiodes encompass all areas of the sensor. So, autofocusing instantly conveys sharper images irrespective of the lighting conditions.
- Samsung’s proprietary pixel technology applies Front Deep Trench Isolation (FDTI) (applied on a Dual Pixel product for the first time in the industry).
- Although the photodiode size is microscopic, FDTI allows every photodiode to absorb and embrace more light information. So, it improves the full-well capacity (FWC) of photodiodes and reduces crosstalk in the pixel.
Comparison of Samsung ISOCELL JN1 vs GN1 vs GN5:
|Features||ISOCELL JN1||ISOCELL GN1||ISOCELL GN5|
|Sensor Technology||Tetrapixel technology||Dual Pixel technology||Dual Pixel Pro technology|
|Resolution||50 MP||50 MP||50 MP|
|Pixel size||0.64 μm||1.2 μm||1.0μm|
|Pixel type||ISOCELL 2.0||ISOCELL Plus||ISOCELL 2.0|
|Color filter||Tetrapixel RGB Bayer Pattern||Dual Tetrapixel RGB|
|Dual Tetrapixel RGB Bayer Pattern|
|Normal frame rate||10 fps @50 MP mode||Up to 24 fps @full 50 MP||Up to 27 fps @ full 50 MP|
|Video frame rate||30 fps @12.5 MP, 60 fps @4K, 240 fps @FHD||240 fps @1080p (w/AF),|
400 fps @1080p (w/o AF)
|30 fps @8K, 120 fps @4K, 240 fps @FHD|
|Shutter type||Electronic rolling shutter|
and global reset
|Electronic rolling shutter|
and global reset
|Electronic rolling shutter|
and global reset
|ADC accuracy||10-bits||10-bits||10 bits|
|Interface||4 lanes (2.15 Gbps per lane)||4 lanes (4.5Gbps per lane) D-PHY /|
3 lanes (3Gsps per lane) C-PHY
|4 lanes (2.5Gbps per lane) D-PHY /|
3 trios (3.5Gsps per trio) C-PHY
|Autofocus||Double Super PD (PDAF)||Dual-PD (PDAF)||Dual Pixel Pro (PDAF)|
|Output formats||RAW10||RAW8 (using DPCM/PCM compression),|
|Operating temperature||-20℃ to +85℃||-20℃ to +85℃||-20℃ to +85℃|
|Supply Voltage||2.8V for analog, 1.8V for I/O, and 1.05V for digital core supply||2.8V for analog, 1.8V for I/O, and 1.05V for digital core supply||2.2V for analog, 1.8V for I/O, and 0.92V for digital core supply|
|Analog gain||x16||x64 @12.5Mp (4in 1),|
|x64 @12.5MP (4in1)|
and x16 @full capture
|WDR||Inter-scene DCG||3D/Tetra HDR||Smart-ISO Pro (iDCG), Staggered HDR|
The ISOCELL JN1 sensor can be considered when you want fine details, vivid colors, and excellent light sensitivity in the captured images and videos.
When it comes to reduced noise, perfect color reproduction, and decent light sensitivity irrespective of the light condition, you can consider ISOCELL GN1.
The ISOCELL GN5 offers fast, accurate autofocus. It helps you capture lifelike images and videos of steady and fast-moving objects.